Saturday, March 1, 2008

Addiction

It has been 9 days. 9 days without any Greenies. It has not been a drama-free 9 days. Can you see the pain in her eyes?
I couldn't afford Greenie rehab for her. I couldn't explain that one of the primary reasons why she is Greenie free is because I was waiting for payday. She doesn't understand the concept of cash. I decided to take the opportunity to see if going cold turkey would help her get over the addiction.

I started worrying about her crankiness. Instead of patiently waiting for walks, she would start saying to me, "take me out now *&*^(&*^*&." It just wasn't cool.

I would wake up in the night because I sensed I was being watched. I was. She would be sitting there and just staring at me. I swear she was whispering, "Greenies. Greenies for the dog. Please ma'am. Please. More Greenies."

I had to make a phone call to the Greenie Addiciton Hotline when she started walking up to other dogs on her walks and shaking them down for a Greenie. So not cool. The counselor just told me hold out a little longer.

I tried until today. I woke up to this:

Arranging her animals and making them listen to her stories about her addiction is too much. Especially when they became so frustrated they staged a walk-out. The fox and the raccoon told me later that these sessions have been going on all week while I was at work.


She made her point. I am going to get Greenies tomorrow morning.